PUT TOGETHER A SLEEPING PORCH WITH THESE KEY PIECES
Summer is here, and with it comes the inescapable heat. We can’t blame you if you feel like spending the whole day in an air conditioned room. But then, that won’t be energy-efficient. One of the best solutions to feel refreshed throughout this season is to create a sleeping porch.
The sleeping porch is not a new concept but is, in fact, a well-loved and tried-and-tested option to keep the heat at bay during summertime. It’s been around since the Victorian era and the early 20th century, and with its benefits, it’s not surprising that it has managed to stay relevant to this day.
By definition, it’s essentially a makeshift sleeping area by a porch, deck, or balcony. Traditionally covered and surrounded by screened windows, this area is furnished with the bedroom essentials that will help recreate the look and vibe of your private sanctuary.Give the sleeping porch a try with these 4 key elements.
1. It’s not a sleeping porch without a bed
This area is meant for sleeping or taking naps. This is why the bed should be your take-off point for this home makeover. A compact daybed seems to be the most ideal choice for a sleeping porch; but, if you have a bigger area to fill, you may also go with daybeds that are convertible to king-sized beds, a couple of twin beds, or a platform bed. To save space, you might also want to dress up a corner with a hammock. You need not worry about whether they’re meant to be used outdoors because this is an enclosed space anyway.
- Furniture pieces that transform are always a delight to have. This twin daybed constructed from Brazilian Pine doesn’t simply have storage drawers underneath, it’s also extendable and converts to a king-sized bed in a jiffy.
- Make the most of every nook on your porch by picking a cleverly designed piece of furniture. This corner L-shaped twin wood bed set is a unique, space-maximizing iteration of the classic bunk bed.
Complement the light and airy interior of your sleeping porch with a platform bed that looks as cozy as this modern mid-century version in solid pine wood. With just a mattress and no bulky headboard, it matches the simplicity of the area’s design goal.
2. Add a cozy seating area
Give you and your family seating options that are perfect for rest and relaxation. There are limitless designs that can meet this need一from big sofas and loveseats to loungers and rocking chairs. Their cozy vibe will easily draw one in and possibly lull one to sleep.
- This huge lounger is the definition of cozy elegance. It has a spacious cushioned seat and has frames crafted in acacia wood with a dark slate gray finish. Its look can elevate the sleeping porch and give it a luxurious resort vibe.
- Those who have tried taking a nap in a rocking chair can surely attest to how comfy this furniture piece can be. This particular piece comes in classic teak hue, fit for a summer-perfect coastal theme.
A lounge chair is a fabulous addition to this area because it’s versatile. Our Dolavon Outdoor Convertible Settee transforms from a loveseat to a chaise lounge. Its frame is made of solid acacia, and it comes complete with removable pillows and cushions.
3. Fill this space with natural light but add privacy with the help of curtains
Let the natural light embrace this space, but you can control the amount of sunshine that comes in by outfitting the windows with curtains. Opt for moderately sheer curtains in whites and light hues; they exude an easy-breezy vibe that’s aligned with the mood of the season.
- If you want a bit more privacy, go with 2-in-1 designs like this grommet sheer panels with insulated blackout lining. Its sheer panels let natural light through, while its blackout panels block out the light and filter the noise outdoors.
- This charming space will look lovelier and more conducive for sleeping with a window treatment like this beige window valance. It’s made of faux silk and has black accents that may be tied up to reveal the view outside.
- In lieu of floor-sweeping curtains, elevate your windows with curtains that extend just by the sill. Turn to a pretty pair like this set of ombre window panels that come in blush, aqua, and lavender shade options.
4. Make it more conducive for sleeping with the help of lighting fixtures to set the ambiance
Just because it’s located in an area that’s believed to be bathed in sunlight doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pay extra attention to lighting it well anymore. Come sundown, you’d still want your sleeping porch to be as inviting, warm, and cozy as it is during daytime. Create a focal point whether on the ceiling or on tabletops with statement lighting fixtures.
- Create drama with a chandelier that combines rustic and elegant styles. It offers a generous amount of light and also boosts the aesthetic of the space. This wooden beaded chandelier has a traditional style and is fashioned in versatile tones of white and cream that can go well with an array of accents.
- A flush mount light can also be a conversation piece here. This copper metal piece is designed with eight Edison-style light bulbs that branch out and will remarkably illuminate your sleeping porch.
- Got a nightstand? Don’t leave it unstyled. Put a table lamp on it, like our Jensen Tiffany Table Lamp that’s eye-catchingly unique. It features a cone shade crafted from thin wedges of art glass that are set in bold filigree; its base is in a shiny brushed nickel.
Beat the summer heat right in the comforts of your own home. Give your porch, deck, or balcony a welcome upgrade for summer by putting together a sleeping porch you and your family can bond, relax with a good book in hand or a cup of tea, and get some much-needed shut-eye. With all these elements combined, your sleeping porch will surely be your favorite spot throughout the warm season. Sweet dreams!